Monday, January 25, 2010

佛七 / 八关斋戒

This year is the second time 打佛七, but the first time taking the 八关斋戒.

Many positive vibes, learnt many things.

The positive take-aways:

- During one of the meditation sessions, I managed to stay very clear-headed, and seemed to establish a "connection" with 阿弥陀佛, and started rocking gently side to side. Sadly it was not repeated.
- 2 days of vegetarian food is almost like a detox programme
- 2 meals per day is do-able, with lots of water
- Strengthening of my belief that, sutras and ceremonies, not just the precepts, ARE a part of Buddhism

And now, my mistakes and wrongdoings:

- the lack of sleep did not allow me to fully appreciate and benefit from the event
- the lack of sleep led me to sleep drowsily at night, potentially missing out on post-event reflections
- I broke the 8th Precept: 不坐卧高广大床
- My biggest mistake: wearing my 海青to the toilet. I am so disturbed by this one that I suspect whatever merits I may have accumulated may not be enough to offset the "demerit" points. Sigh. It was a big boo boo.

This time next year little princess would be 9 months' old already. I really hope we would be able to participate again. If yes, I really have to learn not to repeat this year's mistakes.

This morning, when I was doing my morning chants, I heard birds chirping. I was distracted because the sound appeared quite near. My first thought was: hmmm, distractions! Before I knew it, 2 hummingbirds flew into the house and happily rested themselves on the pussywillow. Then 1 flew away, shortly followed by the 2nd. One flew back in, before flying off.

Wifey just told me she spotted one similar-looking bird at the temple yesterday. Hmmm : )



Post Date: 25 Jan 10

No comments: