Saturday, August 22, 2009

"It's a bad time to look for jobs"



So today is the office's 7th month prayers. Big Boss came. Talked to him about the sale of the business.

As usual, he was non-committal. I told him if it were to materialise, then we need to re-deploy of existing staff. He acknowledged that and hinted that it shouldn't be a problem.

"Then I'll need to talk to you about me," I continued.

"Yah, still got you ..." he let his sentence trail off.

A lot of things flashed before my eyes at that moment - money issues, job ads, standard of living ... and the new addition to the family. I knew instantly I had to plan for my exit. If your employees are just automatons that you either add or remove according to your needs, then it's time they start to think (and fend) for themselves.

That look on his face tells me he doesn't know what to do with me. I don't have the luxury of that same ignorance.

I ended my conversation with him by saying "It's a bad time to be looking for jobs". And I said it twice.



Image credit here.

Post Date: 24 Aug 09

No comments: