Sunday, July 29, 2007

A new chapter

Today marked a new chapter of our volunteering adventure. Actually the new chapter somewhat started yesterday, when Wifey and I went for a look-see look-see. "Prayers start at 9.30am tomorrow," we were told. "Come and join us," they enthused.

We woke up early and had breakfast at the nearby Mc. Reaching 15 minutes earlier, I found a need to visit the toilet. Symbolic isn't it - cleansing the old, starting the new? Haha.

So there we were, 2 newbies, wondering aloud how to go about joining the prayers. By then, everyone was getting into position. We looked around for someone friendly enough to help us with the sutras. As we were heading for the group on the left, a lady helper gestured to me "男的这边", pointing to the group on the right side of the hall. Uh oh, I'm on my own!

People are friendly here. It was also the first time for the guy in front of me, and we helped each other with the pages of the different sutras. The prayers were new, have never recited them before, methinks. There were a lot of 繁体深字, and I struggled. I also couldn't get the tune going - need more sessions!

At 11am, the prayers ended. People were rushing off as it was about to rain. I felt blissful and blessed, what with the spiritual 滋润 and the cool wind on my face. I think I did ok only, but considering this is the first time, I should be happy aleady.

This is a good start, and I am so looking forward to the next session.



The label Hard Work shall now be renamed as The Lord's Work.

Image from http://www.researchmonastery.org/_borders/praying%20hands.jpg

Post Date: 31 July 2007

No comments: