Saturday, July 23, 2005

The KG Man

Now the stack of newspapers has been there for the longest time, like a month. Those karang guni men that used to roam the corridors of my HDB block have all but disappeared.

So imagine my excitement when I heard the faint sound of the ice-cream bell, a tool of the trade for the KG Man. Problem is, by the time I stepped out of the house, he was already somewhere else. Hence began my Track the KG Man Operation. I eventually found him 10 minutes later, 7 floors down. I could have done it faster with more practice, but I guess I got the pointers:

  • Develop a sharp ear for THE BELL - it is your only hope
  • Determine if he is above or below your floor
  • Then go floor by floor. Once in a while, pop your head out from the corridor to see if you spot him

Because my block has 3 stairwells, I actually got ahead of him. I was about to head upwards when he reached the floor I was on.

Final note: ALWAYS negotiate with the KG Man. He will be able to up the offer a little. For my stack, I was offered $5. "Keh tam po lah", I urged.

"Ok lah, ok lah. $6".

Or yah, and try to speak dialects. Somehow the affinity seems to help.

No comments: