Monday, July 24, 2006

Loser ... or Lost?

Went for a birthday party yesterday. It must rank up there as one of my longest 1 hour. To be fair, the family organising it are really nice people, friendly and easy to get along.

But everytime I'm with them, I can't help but be overpowered by their "whiff of wealth". They come from well-to-do families, and it shows. Everything about them is branded. Subconsciously I become reserved and ... boring.

I know the devil is in my head: branded stuff ≠ putting other people down, but ... but ...

Even the friends they invited share that smell. Not to mention the few Beemers I spotted at the visitors carpark - surely they belong to some of these friends?

I'm already not very good at parties. On top of that, I feel so inadequate among these people. I've once told someone I reek of "middle class", but I can't seem to pull myself out of this vicious circle, let alone rise to the occasion and qualify myself to be in THE league. The current financial difficulties just further compound the problem.

So am I a lose, or am I just lost?

No comments: