Sunday, July 09, 2006

Tibet

On 1 Jul 2006, the 青藏铁路 was opened to much fanfare. At 5072m at its highest point, it is the world's highest railway.

Having been to Tibet myself, I have seen how simple the Tibetans live. Their absolute nonchalance towards materialism astounds me. Deeply religious, they donate huge amounts of money/precious stones to temples, leaving just enough for themselves. Their "just enough" seems to be just above the poverty line to me.

I have also seen the infusion of (for lack of a better word) capitalistic trademarks, like karaoke and massage joints, bars, billiard halls, etc. In the name of modernising, I think diluting is also taking place. Despite having stayed in Tibet for 3 years, our tour guide seemed just as dismissive of the Tibetans. In his mind, they are of a different breed, of a lower grade. I think I offended him when I replied "你似乎以有色眼镜在看待他们". My point was, let's not use our own yardstick to judge them. Who is to say which is more superior? They have lived this way for hundreds and thousands of years, and they have achieved equilibrium in their mental state, their spiritual state as well as in their society. SOMEONE ELSE is upsetting this equilibrium.

I may not have visited many countries, but I dare say Tibet has one of the richest cultures. It is an enigma which will take many, many years to unravel and understand. Only if you bother to try to understand. And not through white-washing or cultural bulldozers. I urge everyone to visit Tibet as soon as you can.

Politics 1 : 0 Cultural Preservation





(Graphic from: http://www.wellesley.edu/Polisci/wj/ChinaLinks-New/Images/121-potala-side.jpg)

No comments: